Monday, March 28, 2011

On the Couch

Bill was processing his book-portraits of me for the library's Facebook page this afternoon while I was enjoying this fabulous Picasso monograph on the couch.
It's written by Brigitte Léal and Marie-Laure Bernadac, formerly curators at the Musée Picasso in Paris. Now Leal is a curator at the Centre Pompidou and Bernadac is a curator at the Lourve. The third author, Christine Pilot, co-authored the catalogue raisonné of Picasso's sculptures. How cool is that? Their writing is consistently interesting.
I'm driven to look at Picasso's paintings from this period. Not sure why, but they've been driving me crazy with pleasure. "Woman in a Red Armchair" and "Woman Seated in a Red Armchair" are both from 1932. I love them.
Picasso was still seeing Dora Maar when he painted these gorgeous portraits of Marie-Thérèse Walter in 1937. I pulled Open Secret out of the bookcase, John Moyne and Coleman Barks' translation of Rumi [1999] and opened it to this astonishing Quatrain:

No comments:

Post a Comment